Monday, March 29, 2010

When Fear and Doubt are Back in Town

Checking in...

Once I began uncovering the emotional layers, it soon became clear that what was lingering behind the curtain was fear and doubt. Here's my answer to that...

When Fear and Doubt are back in town
You should allow them to stay
But tell them to keep it quiet until you're done writing for the day.

Ever since I decided to call myself a writer, about seven years ago, Fear and Doubt began to pop in and out just long enough for me to either drop what I'm writing all together or change what I'm writing all together. Little by little, I learned to continue working through their presence while they whispered ugly nothings into my ear. And now I'm discovering that I should stop treating Fear and Doubt as my enemies and accept them as my acquaintances instead, who happen to need a place to stay whilst they're in town. Yes, they are usually an intrusion and I want them out as soon as possible, but while they are a guest in my house, I welcome them fully without feeling the obligation to listen to their life-sapping stories. After all, they're here today, gone tomorrow.

What do I really want?

I want to be able to follow through with what I start regardless of how many times Fear and Doubt come to town. I know that telling them to go away only causes them to invite more of their friends over, so I'd rather learn how to live with them.

My intention this week is to look Fear and Doubt straight in the eye.

What kind of a person do I want to be when faced with fear or doubt?

I want to be the kind of a person who stands my ground, who is unshakable in her inner faith and strength. How can I make that happen? I have to believe that I'm doing exactly what I should be doing and it couldn't possibly be any other way. I have to believe that no matter what happens on the outside, on the inside I'm always fine.

How does facing fear and doubt align with the whole?

I know that when fears are faced, peace shines through. The truth behind fear is love and faith. When I align myself with the whole, I'm not afraid. Jill Taylor talks about how connecting to the right side of our brain is connecting to the Universe itself, to the All and Everything. When I connect to the "right side of me," I connect to all things.

Join me in looking at fear and doubt in the eye.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment