Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Who's Motivating Whom?

What is motivation?

After drinking the new toffee mocha at Starbucks, I got more energy than I knew what to do with; yet, I was not motivated to do anything in particular. I concluded that having more energy does not equal motivation. But motivation, on the other hand, does equal energy.

Peter Brown, a teacher of "reality" or the awakened state, writes in his new book "Dirty Enlightenment: the inherent perfection of imperfection," that we have nothing to do with motivation. We don't have the power to produce it or instill in ourselves or remove it. It already is how it is. It's a done deal. All we're doing is watching it unfold.

What motivated me to write about motivation?

I came to Insomnia coffee shop to work on my story, yet, I went up to the counter, asked the coffee girl what the password to the Internet was, and opened the blog page to write about this. I never ask for the internet password. I do all my Internet stuff at home. If I go to a coffee it is to get motivated to work on story.

Ever since I've been allowing for whatever happens to happen, I've been feeling more and more like I'm not in the driver's seat. It is much more relaxing and joyous not to be in the driver's seat. But then again, did I allow for whatever to happen to happen or did it do it all by itself? Where did the motivation come from?

Peter Brown points out that motivation comes from the same place we do. We didn't birth ourselves in much the same way as we did not birth motivation. The birthing process has been unfolding long before we became aware of ourselves. Motivation has been unfolding long before we knew what we're motivated to do or not to do.

The way I see it, it's not as important to know where the motivation comes from, as it is to be here in order to watch it unfold.

1 comment:

  1. According to the Ageless Wisdom Teachings that I study and practice, we are dealing with these 3 aspects. The amount of each that we deal with depends on where we are on our path towards enlightenment over many lifetimes:

    Desire comes from the Personality/Ego.
    Aspiration comes from the Soul.
    Will comes from the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete